Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Journey Begins

You wanted to know why on earth I went back to school--even after asking my family to send me to a rehab program if I even suggested it? Three reasons. 1. (Truth time) I like the sound of "Doctor Andy." 2. Writing a book has been on my list since I was nine and this seems like a good way to make myself do it. 3. I really want to do something that might be useful for the non-profits I volunteer for.
Here's the thing. I've been criticizing the governing process for the boards I volunteer for and people are pretty tired of it. Who could blame them? After all, they are volunteering their time and usually their money too for these organizations and they don't need one of their peers whining about process and relevance. I'm hoping PhD school is going to force me into a study where I can offer more than cynicism--maybe some hope if not THE BIG BEST BOARD ANSWER. So here I am in San Francisco starting Saybrook University. I have no idea what to expect tomorrow when orientation begins. In fact, I have no idea about much of anything, including where I sign up. So stay tuned and I'll try to keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. congratulations to you for going back to school it is a brave move for folks our age. I think your premise is wonderful - I have given up my last board seat because I didn't feel like we could get anything done and I was going to have to kill someone.

    ReplyDelete