Thursday, September 16, 2010

Let the head bashing and teeth gnashing begin

One of my friends is a member of A.A. and when she first started going to meetings, she told me about something called "share despair." Basically, it's that terrible feeling you get after you say something out loud--that sense that you have just made a complete idiot of yourself. Sharing one's thoughts can sometimes lead to remorse and often times for me, downright shame.
Why share this revelation today?
Three reasons. First, I just submitted my first "response"to on-line PhD school and wouldn't you know, it's to the research methodology class. After re-reading it, I remembered why I am known as Captain Random on my pub trivia team. Most people don't equate Shroedinger's thought experiment to qualitative research design or find Douglas Adams the most scholarly person to quote. Never mind how I deduced that the two of them strung together were the right answer to my "thoughtful response to the reading."
Just a few hours previous I had a telephone chat with one of my favorite board members on methods to make boards more relevant. Fortunately, Adams and/or Schrodinger hadn't yet crossed my mind. Unfortunately, I had Douglas McGregor's Theory X and Theory Y management models pinging in my frontal lobe. Here's a tip. Do not attempt to influence governing boards of the ineffectiveness of top-down management systems. Even if it is the most enlightened person on the planet, board membership trumps new graduate student acquisition of knowledge every time. I haven't had so much 'share despair' since I took my first poetry seminar and intimated that Rilke was a Spanish lesbian.
Finally, just to assure I may never leave my house again, I sent off the trailer to the Gulf oil-spill piece. I showed it to my husband Jim, first, who having just had surgery is on some pain-killers. I figured it couldn't hurt him. It didn't, but he did ask why the camera was focused on the lady's bust during the interview instead of her face. I sent it off anyway. What was I thinking?
Of course, someone who blogs ought to be way past share despair Not only do I keep blogging, but continue to blab my darkest fears and silliest thoughts. Yesterday I sent the link to my brother Jack under the theory that the family that shares together despairs together. Jack, my dear brother who responded "I am not the blog-type" but to whom I persisted and insisted, can now share the shame. For the rest of you, thanks for any awkward silences you can send my way while I await comments from professors, film critics and board members.

2 comments:

  1. Share despair is a curable disease. Just stop caring what people think! If they can't take the heat... tell them to jump off a cliff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet Diane's bust doesn't even make Mike's radar. Honestly, it's only for about five seconds, right? Don't worry, you will be recognized for your genius, I'm sure of it.

    ReplyDelete